Monday 22 December 2014

We Played, We Cried (incomplete)



We played, We cried – song by Dawn Els
For my childhood friend Mmahidi, Daughter of Sophie
Farm Alsace of Tom J Wheeler, District Trichardtsdal, South Africa early 1960’s
I still remember, I still hurt…..

♫Mmahidi
(oh where are you)

Our lives ripped apart when we were so young
My heart, bleeding for you.
…….
run child run,
we must live
to grow up
we must hide
to survive
my Sister
let us grow old
our story be told
our children can play
together one day
in freedom under our sun
in our fields
the danger is there
to take, to devour
my little Sister
we have to run
Our hearts were beating as one
when we ran along
My Sister, they did us wrong.
…….
Can you hear me
Do you hear the drums
Calling, will they call again
I play them now for you my Sister
Let the wind carry the sound
Until you are found.

My voice, as we played
Arm in arm we’d run
To the river
Through the orchards
The tall elephant grass
Your voice, one voice.

We must play together again
Laugh and cry before we die

Who saw us – they were blind.
Who heard us – they were deaf
Who cared – they had no hearts.
And never saw, never listened
That heartless pest of politics
Regarded none
We would never have won.

No comments:

Post a Comment