Thursday 1 January 2015

About Drongo, Hippo and the Goat

It was not exactly a poem or music in the fog but rather a big splash of water.....

Join my fantastic world in Nature as you read the story on screen with the music at YouTube  I originally wanted to tell the story but due to severe asthma my voice failed me a bit.

It is a real story about a real wild Drongo bird (black insect catcher) and I who were big friends and of course the hippos in the Zambesi River as well as my goat while I lived on the banks of this great river full of crocodiles, in the Eastern Caprivi Zipfel, Northern Namibia.

There are many of these stories in "our" animal language.

Yeah, I speak to animals, even if I'm terribly scared the moment I encounter a wild one that might either bite me or trample me.... But I've never been harmed by any wild animal. The only species that I am avoiding is the Homo.Sapiens.... because some have a very dangerous calculating mind.

The only deadly danger in wildlife I've encountered, was a black mamba which came into my house.  Then he had to be killed. They're deadly snakes, pack a punch that causes death within minutes. This one was 2.51m long so he could have zapped one easily in the upper torso.

I am thankful for my neighbour at the time who was brave enough to face up to this snake. He couldn't use his gun to shoot the snake, it was in the bathroom and the gun was quite a big calibre. He used a short whip and was pretty good at what he did. I could stand at the window outside, navigating just by sound where this snake was. At the time we didn't know how long it was, so it could have been all over the bathroom. Fortunately the bathroom had tiles, so the snake couldn't grip as much and that slowed him down a bit. Mamba is an extremely fast snake.

Drongo knew about this mamba and I often wonder it this snake didn't want to catch and eat Drongo... at least the bird hunts in flight so it was seldom on the ground. But it would perch low down near me quite often. And he'd sometimes fly after me when I enter the house, the area where the bathroom window is.

So then, this is a story that one has to be wide awake with... no fog!

Track available from album Bleached African Vol. 1 at Junodownload, or at cdbaby


No comments:

Post a Comment